Fall is upon us. The evenings and mornings are cooler. And while it can still feel like summer in Orange County, you can tell that the holidays are around the corner. I tried to make a lunch date with a friend and she is booked until November. Funny how when we come to the end we are rushed and hurried. To me the end means winding down, tying up loose ends and reflecting back on the year.
You don't have to feel overwhelmed with the holidays and the season. Set your intention for how you want to end the year. Here are a few quick tips.
• Limit your commitments. Don't book every weekend. I know, I know..."but what if I miss..." Well, set your priorities. Do what it takes to savor the moment and not be rushing to the next.
• Leave a day of rest in your week. Life is about balance and if you have plans every day then when do you get a chance to let your mind and body catch up from your intense pace.
• If you plan an outing, make it a relaxing and an affordable one. The holidays get expensive. People get stressed about money. So do some free stuff. Go to a pumpkin patch for fall....Irvine Great Park has some fun free stuff this time of year. ocgp.org Or, since you probably live in beautiful Orange County, go for a walk on a beach close by like San Clemente's beach trail or the bustling part of Laguna Beach.
• Every day, make time for quiet. Whether you meditate, pray or just rest, your body and spirit need a break to cut out all the chitter chatter in your head. Empty out before you go to bed or when you wake up in the morning.
• Spend time with people that are good for you. You know, you might have a few holiday events with family members and for some, that is stressful. So during the other times, surround your self with positive relationships and support.
What other intentions do you want to set for the last 3 months of this year? Take a moment, write them down, tape them to your bathroom mirror and remind yourself every day that this year you are going to do things differently. Happy Fall!