It is the end of the year and the weight loss commercials and dating website advertisements are in full force. We often start to think of what we want to change about ourselves. I find we start to dream a little – which is something I think we should do often, not just for the beginning of the year. One of my favorite things to do is to set my intention for the year. I don’t make resolutions. I put out there things I want for myself, my life and my family. I think big picture and I don't get to rigid with numbers and facts. So here are some tips when setting intentions for the year or even for everyday:
• Follow your heart – or your gut (something I think that are very connected) Don’t put your energy and hope into something you don’t believe in. Really, just because you ended up divorced and everyone is trying to hook you up with the next person, doesn’t mean you should do it. Trust your own intuition in knowing what is right for you. Intentions that bring forth fruit in your life do not come out of a place of pleasing other peoples dreams for your life.
• Be open to possibilities – Once I set the intention of trying new things. I really was thinking about it more in the context of sports. But, a year later I looked back and I had tried new things in how I handled my relationships, tried new foods, I did try new ways to exercise and so on. I just put out there a real broad intention and it ended up touching many parts of my life.
• Dream BIG – when I do business coaching I like to ask people what their dream business looks like. My clients get stuck here too sometimes. Many of us were taught to be “realistic” and to go for what is attainable. That is fine, but you lose the creativity and you don’t challenge yourself. This results in missing out on lots of opportunities. I am not saying that if you have a dream to be independently wealthy that it will happen. I am saying if you have a dream of wealth, set the intention, and you might be surprised where it takes you – managing the money you have, increasing your emotional wealth, a new career…you just never know.
• Go Wholistic – Look at your life from many angles – physical, emotional, spiritual – and set intentions for your whole life. Set intentions that cover multiple areas of your life. You may set an intention of practicing more random acts of kindness – that can be applied to multiple facets of your being.
• Acknowledge the Fears – “Oh, I have been meaning to do that, just haven’t found time.” Well, I have said this (probably said it today) but we make time for what is important to us. When we don’t make time for something and put it off, I tend to believe there is fear lurking around – fear of failure, fear of success, fear of change – and then the negative self talk creeps in – “I can’t”, “I should have” (you get my drift right?). Embrace the fears. Maybe set the intention to be aware of your fear or anxiety and not buy into it. Awareness is key.
So I set intentions and I don’t talk about them with anyone. In fact, my best friend gave me the most fantastic idea to make a collage of my intentions. I like to create so this works well for me. I create a collage for my new year intentions, tape it to my wall and leave it. I don’t worry about it. (Unlike in the long ago past where I had the resolution to lose weight and I checked the scale everyday…no fun!) Put out in written or created form your intentions and let your subconscious do some of the work. And hey, if something goes differently than planned, that is ok – because you are open to possibilities and that there is a bigger picture here. You are a growing, flourishing human being. That is the beauty of life. There is no need for beating yourself up, feeling guilty or “starting over”. This journey is filled with surprises – embrace them and go on the journey with an intention to be aware and open.
My hope for you this year is that you find this journey to be filled with more peace, kindness and compassion than in years past. If you are hurting, that you find healing. I was just reminded by writing this blog of my intention from last year – ONLY LET THE GOOD IN –that is my heart for you.