I am going through this fantastic training for MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction). The students have been asked to meditate 45 minutes per day. GEESH!!! When am I going to find time for that? Then the instructor reflected "isn't it sad that we can't find 45 minutes out of the day to take care of ourselves?"
Yes, it is tough to take care of yourself. We tend to put others first and then leave the scraps for us. Those final moments that we have for ourselves are usually hard to be fully enjoyed because we are so exhausted. So how do you make time?
• Plan it - Don't wait for it to instantaneously happen. It would be nice if it did, but it won't.
• Respect it - Treat it like you are taking care of all the other people that you have put before you in the past. Don't let it be interrupted.
• Enjoy it - Don't fill the time with things you "should" be doing (ya know - groceries, bills, doctor appointments, etc) but instead fill it with stuff you want to do. Not sure what you want? Might be time for you to take some time to figure that out too :)
• Talk about it - Make sure your support system is on board and supportive. Maybe you need someone to hold you accountable. If you don't feel like you have good support, journal about what you want to do. Just writing something down can solidify the intention.
• Practice it - You know the song "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again..." So if you set aside time and it doesn't happen, then try again. BUT be sure to understand what got in the way of you taking time out for yourself.
So what have you been putting off...what needs to be done....can you make the time????